Monday 7 February 2022

Bag the Hun WW2 Pacific Aircraft

Having built up a decent range of forces for Cruel Sea's in the Pacific I thought I'd add some aircraft with the dual purpose of trying out the TFL 'Bag the Hun' rules. There were not as many suppliers of 1/300th aircraft as I thought there would be so I ended up buying the planes from Scotia Grendel

The models are what I would call 'cheap and cheerful', not over-detailed but certainly you can tell what they are and very acceptable for a game I probably won't play much. Finally I sourced some stands from Litko to base the planes on and some suitable decals.

First up nine Mitsubishi AM-6M Zero's: 

Three Aichi D3A1 Val's:

Eight Grumman F6F Hellcats:

Three Douglass TBD Devastator's and three Grumman TBF Avengers:

I also got some D6 holders and altitude dials from Litko (on the right), these are a bit disappointing as they don't really fit on the hex base and the die is rather large (though of course if I'd read the description properly I'd have realised the size of the die at least!):

The planes were little effort to paint and I think look okay, the Americans more so than the Japanese though they don't really show up well against the sea cloth I have. I think the Japanese would have looked better in a green colour scheme but it didn't seem worth the effort to repaint them!

Finally as I was painting them I saw this comic in W H Smith when I was taking a train trip:

Oddly enough I'd just finished doing a '12' Hellcat so it seemed appropriate to buy the comic, I guess these Commando comics must be making a comeback though I'd have thought the attitudes in them might be a bit outdated these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment