Tuesday 27 September 2022

Cold War Commander British Army of the Rhine

With the recent release of version two of Cold War Commander by Pendraken there has been a resurgence of interest in this period at the club. It's not something I've had much interest in really but, caught up in the enthusiasm and putting in an order to Pendraken for some 10mm tanks anyway, I ordered a copy. 

When they arrived the rules seemed rather complicated and the army lists utterly incomprehensible! So rather than try to flog through them I just asked Simon what to buy for a 6mm British army. A couple of orders to Heroics and Ros and Scotia Grendel followed giving me the nucleus of a mid 1980's British force.

Some HQ bases and forward observers:


Nine infantry bases:

FV432 to transport the infantry:

Infantry supports, HMG, Blowpipe and Milan:

Heavy metal! 12 Chieftains:

More support, Scimitar, Swingfire Strikers and Starstreaks (which apparently were not introduced until 2000 and I should have bought Rapiers!):

Air support from two Jaguar GR-3 (decals to be added!)

You can't have a British army without Harriers:

Being 6mm the army was cheap, easy to paint (apart from the infantry to some extent) and I think looks nice enough especially once I get some decals for the aircraft. I also have two Lynx and one Gazelle helicopters to add to the force. The next part sees me attempting to get an idea of the rules in a teaching game!

No comments:

Post a Comment