Saturday 15 October 2022

ADLG Hunnic v Seleucid

Another practice game for one of my club mates, Ian's Seleucid's which he is thinking of using at Warfare. I thought I'd give my Huns a rare run out, an army I'm very fond of but which hasn't seen action for a while.

I went for a simple composition of two wings of MC/LC and a centre of impetuous Goths and Hun Nobles commanded by Atilla himself. Apart from the Goths the entire army was elite! Of course, this resulted in a rather small break point at 20.

Winning the initiative I elected to defend in the steppes and got some reasonably favourable terrain:


The Seleucid's turned out to be a solid line of pikemen, cataphracts and somewhat squidgy Thracians so the Huns started off by trying to out-manoeuvre the opposition with a rapid redeployment to their left: 

However, they immediately make a serious error when they decide to charge two bow-armed light horse into two Seleucid light horse armed with javelins rather than shooting at them. For some reason I thought they were bow armed despite the figures obviously being armed with javelins! The initial combat goes badly then is made worse by some Seleucid light foot joining in as support:

On the other hand the redeployment is going well, much of the Seleucid army is out of action for now and they have been forced to commit their Thracians to fill a large gap on their left:

Can the Huns overwhelm part of the Seleucid army before the rest can catch up and help out?

On the left the Huns crash into the Thracians and immediately make inroads into them. The Seleucid cataphracts next to the Thracians are very outnumbered and facing the Gothic cavalry while the rest of the Seleucids are still a move or two from being able to intervene:

The Thracians are in big trouble now:

The Goths and Huns charge home into the cataphracts with overlaps on both flanks. They will need to break through quickly though as the rest of the Seleucids are closing rapidly:

Unfortunately, the cataphracts demolish the Gothic cavalry and the remainder of the Seleucid army is able to join the action:

The two Hun light horse on the right had been finished off a while ago and the javelin armed Seleucid light horse will take the Hunnic camp breaking the Hun army:

An interesting game where I made two stupid mistakes that cost me significantly. Firstly, charging into the Seleucid javelin armed light horse when I should have just shot at them and secondly placing my camp in the centre of the table when it should have been on one side or the other! Having such a small break point amplified these errors as they cost me 8 points out of my 20 break points. 

Other than that, the plan worked reasonably well with the much more mobile Huns getting into the vulnerable Thracians and almost capturing the Seleucid camp themselves.  I think Ian had lost 17 from his much higher 26 break point so the mistakes certainly cost me, another learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment