Monday 25 May 2020

Blucher 1806 Prussians

I've finally finished the first lot of the interminable 1806 Prussian army for Blucher, consisting of the command stands, some cavalry, the artillery and the allied Saxon infantry.

The High Command, these are from the AB Jena Staff set. The one on the right is Blucher himself, I'm not sure who the others are meant to be:

A Kurassier unit, originally I was going to do the units with only 6 figures per unit so these are painted as two different units. However, it didn't look good (unlike using 16 infantry per unit instead of 32 which looks fine) so they got combined into a single unit. These are Essex figures:

Some Dragoons, painted in with the same pink facings as one of my later Prussian units. These are AB figures picked up cheaply in the Fighting 15's sale:

Finally for the cavalry a Hussar unit painted as Blucher's regiment, again AB figures (though with rather brighter red uniforms than they perhaps should have):

The 1806 Prussian army does not get much artillery in Blucher so I only did a single heavy artillery and a single horse artillery battery. I also did a couple of bases of Jaegers to add to the foot units to represent Advanced Guard brigades:

Rather than paint endless Prussian infantry units I thought I'd add some Saxons to the mix. They also have the advantage that they can be used as French allies in 1809. These are Eureka figures again from their recent sale. Firstly the 1st and 3rd Infantry Regiments plus a base of Grenadiers:

Secondly the 2nd and 4th Infantry Regiments, again with a base of Grenadiers that combines with those of the 1st and 3rd to make a Grenadier Brigade:

I have another eight units of Prussian infantry which just need the basing finishing plus three further units of infantry, one of Kurassiers and one of Hussars to paint. This army has been very hard going, I've been painting them on and off for the last three years I think and enthusiasm for them continually drops. Difficult to say why really and rather odd as I actually enjoyed doing the Saxons and like them, unless the army develops a personality when/if I use it I can't see it getting many outings and it even crossed my mind to sell it!

No comments:

Post a Comment