Tuesday 1 June 2021

ADLG Late Roman Archers

One of the things I've most enjoyed doing is refurbishing some truly "ancient" armies to use again. When I looked at the 25mm Late Roman army the figures were all Garrison for the infantry and Hinchliffe for the mounted.

At the time I couldn't source any more Garrison figures and I'd not liked the Hinchliffe cavalry anyway so I added some more mounted  and a few foot from Footsore to the army. While I was happy with the mounted additions I was less so with the foot, especially two bases of archers which were ridiculously large even for modern 28mm figures but I painted them up anyway.

Recently however I noticed that Colonel Bill's had some original Garrison Late Roman archers for sale very cheaply so I put in an order  and they quickly arrived:


Another view of the unit. The shield patterns for archer units in my venerable 'Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome' were all far too complicated to paint on the tiny shields so I went in for a more generic pattern on this unit:

A comparison of the Footsore figures on the left and the Garrison on the right:


No comments:

Post a Comment