Sunday 16 August 2020

TMOCB Firebase additions

Having greatly enjoyed my solo TMOCB games I've started to build some stuff for the Firebase variation of the game. It would be a big effort to make a whole firebase so I've started off with some of the things I don't have alternate (but not that great) items from my CoC collection I can use for now.

First up some bunkers made from DAS clay after watching this tutorial on YouTube:

Command Bunker

A Medical Bunker

A Mortar Position

Finally a Helipad

I think they came out okay but they were quite hard to make, one thing the video glossed over (or maybe I didn't pay enough attention!) was that the individual layers of sandbags separated when the clay dried in places  making the end product a bit fragile. I still need an accommodation bunker, an 105mm gun position and a latrine area to complete the interior of the base.

The firebase game includes units of NVA Sappers so I bought some from Elhiem and based them two to a base to distinguish them from the regular NVA units. The ones on the left have Bangalore torpedoes, on the right mixed weapons:

For the Americans you need two 105mm guns and some mortars, the guns are from Britannia while the crew are from Elhiem again:

From what I have read both sides regarded evacuating their wounded and removing their dead from the battlefield of great importance and this is reflected in the rules where if you don't evacuate your casualties morale will fall and you give victory points to the opposition. So far I've used counters to mark losses, now I have some suitable figures from Britannia:

I also bought a few more 'personality' type figures for the Americans, these are from Elhiem. Left to right a new platoon commander, an artillery liaison officer, Colonel Kilgore, a reporter (aka Dennis Hopper) and a Corpsman:

Finally for no real reason at all (so far) I added a Sampan from Britannia Miniatures. It is a nice simple model and might provide some scenery perhaps similar to the Apocalypse Now patrol boat I bought earlier:

The Vietnam collection has expanded way beyond my original expectation and I've enjoyed painting and playing with them so much so that another order has already gone in to Britannia for a few more things!

No comments:

Post a Comment