Monday 14 January 2019

The latest of Late Romans!

After refurbishing the previous batch of Garrison and Hinchliffe Late Romans from the 80's I still had some figures left. All the Legionary units were originally 12's so each refurbished one had four spare figures.

Originally I was going to just varnish and base them with two types of shield per base but that seemed lazy so I repainted the shields with new patterns. I also found some unpainted figures which provided another four Auxiliaries who could make up the back rank of a Legionary base since I was short four Legionaries and two bases of light foot slingers.

First up are the Legio Comitatensis 'Tertia Iulia Alpina' (this is the unit with the four axuliaries making up the back rank, they have tunics instead of armour but are otherwise the same as the Legionaries) and the slingers:

Next we have two Legio Palatina 'Cimbriani' and  'Armigeri Propugnatores Seniores'. I think repainting the shields was a good idea as they match now but it's a shame I had no officer or standard bearer for them:

Finally I did a couple of bases of horse archers. These figures are by Lamming and are a similar age to the rest of the Late Roman army. I think Lamming were one of the pioneers in producing figures with separate heads, shields and weapons allowing more variety between figures. I'm not even sure which range these figures are from, I have 10 of them that were painted in a rather gaudy selection of colours before the repaint:

That's everything I have apart from the odd figure refurbished and painted now. I think they look a lot better than they did. I've arranged a game for them on Thursday hopefully so they will get at least one outing!

The question is if it is worth buying some new generals, cataphracts and maybe auxiliary archers for them? I looked at Footsore Miniatures and it would cost around £60 compared to using some of my Byzantines which would cost nothing. Maybe I will see how they get on in Thursday's battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment