Thursday 2 January 2020

2019 Review Part 2: Painting

In January 2019 I had several projects on the go and a few thoughts as to potential things to start on.

Looking first at the projects on the go:

28 mm FoGR ECW/TYW army: I did manage to finish this army and am very happy with them.

The difficulty I've had is arranging games with them, they still have not played their first game and nothing is on the horizon at the moment.

28 mm British Peninsular army: Another force that made it to completion but has not played a game. Since I mainly intended to use them for competitions not having played a game with them is less of an issue.

Basically these guy's are ready for action if required!

28 mm Blitzkrieg Germans: Also completed and managed to play a couple of games. Partly I did these as an option for solo games and didn't really expect to play that many games with them though that may change if we start a PSC with me as the Germans.

15 mm Early Prussians for Blucher: Not so successful here, I did do a couple of units more but the army is still some way off finished.

I should probably just commit to finishing these, one reason I think I have not is that I did all the cavalry units as 6 figures to save on the cost and painting but they just look too small so I think they need expanding to 12 figures which might provide the inspiration to finish them (as may basing the ones that I have done).

28 mm Woodland Indians: pretty much no progress, I added a few more colours to some of them and gave up again. Given the lack of SP games at the moment not a priority for me.

I had three potential projects I was looking at:

10 mm WW2 Germans: These went ahead and were finished quickly. They have had some action already and I expect will continue to be used for Rommel.

Dragon Rampant: These rules continue to be popular at the club but so far I've resisted the temptation to get involved. Still a possibility (and I do have an unpainted 15 mm Goblin/Orc army which, as it is "fantasy" I suppose I could use against the other players 28 mm armies?!) but not that likely to go ahead I think.

28 mm Confederates: Another idea that made no progress, partly as I have so many 15 mm ACW figures and partly as the 28 mm Union army I have is not based for F&F so would need rebasing.

With only one out of three potential projects going ahead what actually did get done? Firstly things that were based on rules I already played:

28 mm Soviets for CoC: One of the beauties of CoC is that the forces involved, to start off with at least, are fairly small and cheap to buy with a single box of plastic infantry and maybe a tank or two giving you enough to start playing. I've done a lot of Soviets adding Partisans and some Naval Brigade plus several vehicles as I really enjoyed using them.

28 mm Finnish for CoC: Something I'd not intended doing at all and only started as Dave didn't like the figures and was going to throw them away! As a result I just did a quick paint job on them so we could use them if we wanted to. They came out better than I thought they would and had some nice ideas let down by extremely variable sculpting. I finnished them all but have not used them yet, partly as none of us have any snow themed terrain. They might get a game sooner or later.

28 mm Americans for CoC: Started partly from a give-away sprue of American infantry with Miniature Wargames the Americans have already taken part in the "29 Let's Go!" PSC. Still a relatively small force there is probably room for expansion:

28 mm Home Guard for Chain of Command: A bit of an ongoing project to add to my BEF force for the "Sea Lion" idea. I probably have enough now to field them.

10 mm Russians for Rommel: The Russians seem a bit different in Rommel and having enjoyed all my games combined with the ease of painting 10 mm WW2 it seemed a good idea to add them to my collection.


15 mm Kingdom of Italy Napoleonic's for Blucher: I completed a few random units for Blucher including a small force of Italians.

Next the new periods that I've started on:

20 mm Vietnam: Bit of an odd one this, inspired by some boxes of plastic figures I'd bought years ago a whole load of them were painted up and some terrain built in a burst of enthusiasm. The lack of a rule set is an issue though and I need to find some suitable rules to get this project going again:

1/300th Cruel Seas: Again based on a Miniature Wargames give away and a couple of games against Mike I've done a fair bit of stuff for Cruel Seas and will probably add to the collection.

1/700th Black Seas: The last project I started this year and another one I wasn't expecting to do as I am generally inept at sailing games. The ships look fantastic and I am currently completing some 3rd Rates for my Spanish. When they are done that will probably be enough but resisting the temptation to do more may be difficult!

Looking to this year what projects are on the horizon?

28 mm WW1 1914 French and Germans: I have some of these already painted from long ago and am thinking of doing two small forces for the CoC WW1 variant. The figures are Renegade and no longer in production so I've been keeping an eye on E-Bay for some extra figures to make up the numbers.

15 mm SYW Austrians for King of the Battlefield: KoB is very popular at my club, probably second only to ADLG in the number of players. Oddly enough I've never had much interest in the SYW thinking it is a duller version of Napoleonic's apart from the AWI which is more interesting. Not sure if I will do this, maybe I will buy a small command and see how it goes.....

15 mm Boxer Rebellion Austrian Sailors for Men Who Would Be Kings: Gordon has painted up some Boxers so I might invest in some Blue Moon Austrian sailors to oppose them. Relatively cheap and everyone loves a sailor!

No comments:

Post a Comment