Tuesday 31 December 2019

2019 Review Part One: Gaming

After the first full year of writing this blog I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the games I've played over 2019 and see what rules and armies are getting the most use.

Chain of Command had the most games with 24 (10 Soviet, 7 USA, 5 British and 2 German). I've really enjoyed my CoC games and the pint sized campaigns add further interest to the rules.

Initially I wasn't too keen on the rules but they have grown on me and I feel I have become a better player over the year. They bring out the differences in the armies quite well and all the ones I have are perfectly viable in the rules with their own quirks. The Soviet's remain my favorites. I expect I'll play more CoC next year.

ADLG came next with 19 games played using a wide variety of armies (only the 25 mm ones made more than a single appearance with 3 Late Roman, 2 Carthaginian and 2 Kushite Egyptian). I play these games despite the rules rather than because of them partly as ADLG games are easy to get with their popularity at the club, partly as I like using the figures and finally as I enjoy playing the people I do play. I'll probably still play ADLG but might try to cut down on it.

Rommel accounted for 12 games (7 Americans, 3 Germans, 1 Russians and 1 8th Army). All my Rommel games were great fun and really make you think about what you are going to do. I'm sure Andy and I will keep playing next year and might even recruit a few more people to play with a bit of interest at the club from other players.

Sharp Practice also had 12 games (5 AWI British and 7 Napoleonic French). SP has seen a decline in interest with, I think, most of us now preferring CoC. I've entered the SP period at Roll Call for next year so will certainly be playing more and it isn't something I want to drop.

Blucher had 8 games (plus one of Battaile Empire) using six different armies, basically one game each apart from the Austrians who played three. Rather like Rommel very enjoyable games but limited by the number of opponents I can get. Somewhat surprisingly given that the club bought 27 copies of the rules BE has not taken off at all with, as far as I know, only the single game Gordon and I played to date.

FoGR/ADG-R once the mainstay of my gaming was down to 3 FoGR games with Confederate Irish all at an Oxford 1 day competition and a single ADG-R game with Pirates. I'd happily play a lot more FoGR but sadly it has no interest any more at the club and I am no keener on ADLG-R than ADLG. I will try to play more Oxford 1 day competitions next year.

Cruel Sea's is a new game for me with 3 games so far. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would and it is very easy to add new ships to the collection. Something I'll be hoping to play more of next year.

Fire and Fury is the oldest rule set I still play and I managed 2 games, both battle recreations. I'll look to keep playing and would love to do some of the other big battles but they just are not practicable on a club night really.

Black Sea's had one game, perhaps not as varied as Cruel Seas but the ships look fantastic and will go into action again.

In total that is 74 games I played in 2019, a decent total considering there were very few competition games among them. The year's gaming highlight was probably playing again at the Redcar club after so many years something I intend to do again next year.

Looking at the above list a couple of rules sets have dropped off, Men Who Would Be Kings and Deadman's Hand both of which I'd like to play again.

2 comments:

  1. Geoff, I'll give you some games of Rommel this year -Germans v Russians? Have a great year of gaming and fun
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me Sean, the Russians look an interesting army!

    ReplyDelete