Monday 3 February 2020

What a Tanker!

Last week saw me try out a new set of rules, the TFL 'What a Tanker!'. They are quite popular at the club but so far I had resisted as I wasn't that keen to learn yet another set of rules.

Having been assured they were quick to pick up I joined Dave, Jerry and Cley in attempting to move a German column of tanks along a road and off table somewhere in France 1940 against Gary's British and French.

I opted for a StuG III as my tank and lead the column:

A French AT gun fires at me but fails to do any damage. A following Panzer II moves to engage the AT gun:

A British AT gun joins in, again the mighty armour of the StuG keeps it safe:

Having drawn out the enemy the lighter tanks bypass my StuG and engage them (in reality my tank refused to move for a few turns!).

A Panzer III crushes the French AT gun:

The StuG crushes the British AT gun. Having survived numerous hits from both AT guns the StuG promptly suffered serious damage during the crushing!:

One Panzer II makes it off the end of the road as a Matilda and Hotchkiss look on:

The Panzer III is destroyed, minutes later the 38t was also blown up:

My StuG is being harassed by two Boy's AT rifles to little effect:

A fun game that was indeed quick to pick up. Basically an undamaged tank rolls six dice that can then be used for various purposes (1 to move, 2 to spot, 3 to aim etc). The system can be a bit frustrating, I had several turns when I didn't get any 1's to move, 4's to shoot or 6's (which can be used as wild cards). 

The StuG seemed pretty invulnerable to the AT guns and AT rifles, but then they were very hard to kill themselves (the only ones who were destroyed were the two AT guns that got run over!). I don't think I will be taking What a Tanker up much but will be happy to play the odd game perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment