Thursday 23 April 2020

Dead Man's Hand Cowboy Gang

I used to play quite a bit of 'Dead Man's Hand' but have not played for years. It was one of my first returns to using 28 mm figures after many years only painting 15 mm figures and I found it quite hard to adjust to painting the larger figures at first.

One of the gangs I painted was the 'Cowboy' gang from Great Escape. My paint job looked quite poor so I tried dipping them with Army Painter Quickshade which improved them a little but not much (Quickshade is something else I never managed to get the hang of really) so they were useable but I was not at all happy with them:


As I've been thinking DMH would be a nice solo game in this lock down time I thought I'd have a look at repainting them. An initial inspection showed that either there was not much detail on the figures in the first place or the detail they had was obscured by layers of paint, quickshade and varnish. Being unwilling to strip the paint from them I decided to paint over the old paint job as it couldn't really make it worse!

An afternoon's work later and they now look like this:


It is defiantly an improvement, painting all the neckerchiefs and chaps in the same colour gives them more of a theme I think. They still don't look quite right to me, I think perhaps as they look too clean and tidy! I've got some 'Desperado's' to do as well as they also look quite poor, the rest of the collection is not so bad as I got better at painting them.


No comments:

Post a Comment