Monday 7 August 2023

Scramble WW2 Finnish v Russian

A different set of air warfare rules this time, 'Scramble', which I think was published in the 80's and does not seem to be easily available any more.

Bill from the Norfolk club umpired the game and provided a short summary of the rules. Nigel and I were on the Finnish side with me having a Gladiator and a Fokker, Richard and Robin were our Russian adversaries with a variety of Russian aircraft.

My Fokker and Gladiator:

Nigel's planes in the distance:

The enemy is spotted! A Yak and a Buffalo (perhaps):


Both sides close:

No one manages to get a shot off though:

I think here I managed to take a shot at the Yak:


Aircraft whirl around rapidly:

The Yak almost but not quite shoots down my Gladiator:

The Fokker is also hit but not quite to the same extent:

The whole fight:

A fun game where it was difficult to keep up with the action as a lot of it, like BtH, is manoeuvring for position and trying unsuccessfully to get a shot off! In the end two Russian planes were shot down for no losses to the Finns (though my Gladiator was only a single hit off disintegrating).

The rules worked well and we soon got the hang of moving and firing (only one of us had played before so we were very reliant on Bill's help and knowledge as umpire!). The only really tricky part was the initiative system, winning that (a simple roll-off) seemed vital as then you could make all the opposition move first which is a huge advantage when trying to set up shots, I think perhaps BtH handles this better with it's cards for each flight to determine the order in which you move and shoot.

An enjoyable game on the whole which I'd be happy to play again.


No comments:

Post a Comment