Tuesday 7 November 2023

ADLG-R Scots Covenanter v Scots Royalist

Another ADLG-R game against Simon, this time with my Scots Covenanters taking on Simon's Scots Royalists. I opted for a huge army with almost every unit mediocre apart from one elite Pike and Shot regiment and two average medium guns giving a break point of 35! 

I expected Simon's army to be much smaller, the plan being to overwhelm him on the flanks while ideally trading losses in the centre.

Most of the terrain ended up on the left. Unfortunately for my plan Simon's army was not that much smaller than mine and was of somewhat better quality:      

My army was a mighty horde though, I've never seen so many figures in an ADLG army! 


The initial clash occurred on the right where the more numerous and better quality Royalist cavalry gained an advantage: 

On the left the Covenanters had an advantage but were struggling to use their cavalry up against the terrain:

Charge! The only elite unit in the Covenanter army goes into action:

More violence in the centre where Royalist Highlanders are swarming into the Covenanter lines:

On the left the struggle favours the Covenanters:

Gaps appear in the Covenanter lines as their artillery is quickly overwhelmed:


The Covenanters have more reserves but will they help? 
Covenanter cavalry advance to outflank the Royalist Highlanders, they should have done this before but I forgot to move them: 

The Covenanter line starts to collapse: 

Losses mount on both sides: 

On the left the Covenanters get their act together at last: 

It is too little too late though as the Covenanters break in rout! 


Great fun and interesting to use such an unusual army composition, the Royalists lost a fair few units but it wasn't that close. Unfortunately I ended up making some of my frequent ADLG mistakes again, especially with the cavalry on the left which could have flanked the enemy much quicker.

I also hadn't realised quite how bad the light artillery interspaced between my pike and shot units would be, I should have dropped them back before they could be contacted as they were all wiped out very quickly.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment