Tuesday 2 June 2020

ADLG Hundred Year's War English

When I went through my unpainted lead pile a while ago one of the boxes contained an entire HYW English army I'd bought at Salute several years ago. 

The figures and flag sheets were from the Donnington 'New Era' range and were nice enough. If I remember rightly I bought them towards the tail end of DBM and start of ADLG with my relative lack of enthusiasm for ADLG and the fact that I could already field the army anyway from assorted other Medieval figures I had leading to me never making a start on them.

However, with the lock-down continuing and for something different to do I dug the box out and undercoated some long bowmen and billmen intending to paint a few and see how they looked. A week later and remarkably the whole army is now painted to a basic standard and usable at last!

King Edward III:

The Black Prince:

Mounted Knights:

Battle 1:

Battle 2:

Battle 3:

A spare base of dismounted knights:

Considering how quickly I painted them I'm quite pleased with them and may actually use them. I did a limited range of colours and didn't bother adding detail such as red crosses to the archers and billmen or attempting to paint the surcoats of the knights. The heraldry for the mounted knights came out better than I thought it would and the tricky to paint generals give a good impression of the complicated design on such small figures.

Inevitably having painted them I promptly ordered a few more figures to 'finish the army off' so hopefully some Hobilars, Welsh Spearmen, Irish Kerns and a dismounted general will be added soon

No comments:

Post a Comment