Friday 5 June 2020

Chain of Command Normandy 1944

Having tried a smaller scale Blucher solo game I thought I'd see how Chain of Command worked on a 4 x 4 table as a solo game. 

As I'd just finished some new buildings from Empires at War (a house, a factory and a row of garages) I decided to base the game in Normandy 1944 on a terrain heavy table using my Americans and Germans in a probe scenario. The patrol phase saw the Americans make significant progress across the table:

Two American squads deploy, one in the factory, the other at the road junction:

A German squad deploys in the woods and engages in a firefight with the Americans in the factory:

An M8 armoured car deploys:

Taking advantage of a double phase the M8 races down the road and will make it off table unless the Germans can stop it. A panzerfaust team pops up from the ruined building and successfully ambushes the M8:

At this point I stopped playing as the game wasn't working out for a number of reasons. The table was really too small resulting in both sides being deployed in a simple firefight with no room for movement, probably not helped by the large amount of terrain either. It also just wasn't the same without an actual opponent, I think one of the best parts of CoC is trying to out-think your opponent which obviously just does not happen in a solo game! The PSC really add to the interest of the games as well so a solo version of one of those might be more interesting but would require the use of a larger table.

So I think CoC will have to wait until I can play at the club again, must admit I am looking forward to that and restarting my Abbeville campaign with Gary especially!

No comments:

Post a Comment