Monday 1 June 2020

Black Sea's Royal Navy Part One

As I anticipated I would when I finished the Spanish ships I had for Black Sea's I bought a box of the 'Royal Navy Fleet' British Starter Set. The set contains a generic 1st Rate, three named 3rd Rates (Ajax, Mars and Colossus), three named Frigates (Indefatigable, Euralys and Naiad) and six Brigs.

I had assumed the 1st Rate would be HMS Victory but that was not the case, apart from that slight disappointment at £65 post free from Firestorm Games for 13 ships I think the set is fairly good value.

A single afternoon of cutting out the parts and gluing resulted in all thirteen ships being built and undercoated ready for painting. I thought I'd start with the lighter ships and completed the Frigates.

Firstly the Indefatigable:

Next the Euralys:

Finally the Naiad:

I also finished four of the six Brigs. I've not named them yet but will do so, probably from those built at Rotherhithe or Deptford as they are local to me:

Unlike the Spanish fleet I painted these in a standard colour scheme for all the ships as I think befits the Royal Navy. My rationale for this (probably totally a-historical) is that while the British captain could outfit his crew and maybe decorate his ship a little the Navy supplied the ships and maintained them. The Spanish captains though perhaps treated  their ships as their personal property much like being the proprietor of an army unit so have greater discretion with regard to paint jobs etc. It also makes it easier to tell the ships apart!

I now have enough done to fight small ship British v Spanish actions either solo or providing both fleets and will move on to the larger ships soon. 

The full fleet to date:

No comments:

Post a Comment