Saturday 13 October 2018

28mm French Napoleonics for Sharp Practice

This army was painted up for the recent 'Britcon' Sharp Practice competition.
I'd probably have done British or Spanish rather than French but the only entries available when I signed up was French so that was pretty much decided for me.
For the competition you had to draw up a background for your force and, having enjoyed the 'Brigadier Gerard' tales by Arthur Conan Doyle he seemed an ideal base to set the army up.
Here is the man himself, a splendid figure from Front Rank resplendent in the uniform of the 10th Hussars and commander of the force:
The figure really fits in well with the character as described in the books, every inch the proud Hussar!
Next up is a unit of Perry Miniatures plastic French Dragoons, great value as you get both mounted and dismounted figures ideal for Sharp Practice. I painted them as the 15th Regiment as the pink facings contrast well with the green jackets of the Dragoons:
As I had not played many games of SP at the time I thought I'd go for a full range of units so I added a Horse Artillery gun, again from Perry Miniatures:
The rest of the units were made up from a box of the Perry plastic French Infantry and a few extra packs from their metal range to add variety and extra numbers. One group was done as Grenadiers:
Four more groups were painted as Fusiliers: 
Two groups of  Voltigeurs completed the infantry part of the force:
Finally a physic (and his faithful dog!) was added, another Front Rank figure:
Considering that I had to paint the army fairly quickly to play in the competition I think they came out nicely and made a pleasant change from painting 15mm Napoleonic figures.

The competition was great fun with five different scenarios all with different objectives. Brigadier Gerard achieved his objective in four of the five games (in one his rash behaviour didn't pay off!) and it was interesting to see how players from other clubs approached SP. One of my friends is painting up a British force at the moment so hopefully they will get another run out in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment