Saturday 6 April 2019

Salute 2019

As usual I paid my annual visit to Salute today.

Over the years I have come to like Salute less and less, the endless queue to get in (though to be fair this has been sorted now really), the rather depressing interior of the Excel centre and the way every year there seems to be more and more fantasy/sci-fi and less historical traders means that if it was not such an easy trip for me (around 30 minutes!) I probably wouldn't go!

I think SELWEG and Warfare are much better shows personally, more historical orientated and in nicer venues.

So, having dragged myself there what did I end up bringing home? Firstly a unit of 12 TYW Cuirassiers from 1st Corps which cost me £23 after a 10% collect from show discount, quite a bit cheaper than the other manufacturers I looked at. The figures look nice enough, somewhat 'old style' but I think they will paint up nicely:

Next I added some heavy artillery and a radio truck plus a couple of jeeps (to make supply line markers) from Pendraken for the 10mm WW2 Americans. An impulse purchase was to add a couple of PzIV to see how they paint up for a potential German army:

Continuing the WW2 theme I bought some Home Guard and 'Characters' from Foundry. These are really nice little models and are remarkably similar to the cast of the 'Dad's Army' TV show! They should go well with my Operation Sealion collection:

The last addition was some more Home Guard from 1st Corps. I thought they looked a little large but when I got them home realised they were in fact giants:

The top left figure is one of the Foundry Home Guard while the bottom left is one of my British force so it is very apparent how much bigger the 1st Corps ones are. I'm not bothered about a slight difference in size but these look ridiculously bigger so I'm not sure if I will use them or not, I should have just bought more of the Foundry ones!

I didn't really see anything else that I especially wanted, though I did pick up some extra pre-cut wooden bases as well. As ever I'm not convinced I'll bother going next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment