Tuesday 13 October 2020

ADLG Lithuanian v Feudal Russian

 This week's ADLG game saw my Lithuanians taking on Gordon's Feudal Russians. Lithuanian used to be a rather underrated army back in the days of DBM and I used it many times successfully. In ADLG though it appears less attractive as an army and I don't think I'd used it before. 

I went for the traditional DBM-style army of Lithuanians combined with Hussites and Teutonic knights to face Gordon's Russians. The Teutons deployed on the left, the Hussites in the middle and the Lithuanians on the right:


The Russians have cavalry and mercenary knights facing the Teutons, spearmen against the Hussites and a mixture of Russian and Cuman cavalry against the Lithuanians:

The Teutons divide their forces. With an 'ordinary' commander this might cause control issues but hopefully they will quickly get into combat when it won't matter so much:

The Russians press forward on both flanks while the spearmen head for the Hussites:

The Teutons are now a considerable distance apart. Hopefully they will manage to get to charge:

The Russians attack! With insufficient command points the Teutons on the left fail to engage and are stuck in place:

Combats go badly for the Lithuanians and markers start to sprout among the Hussites especially:

The Teuton Grand Master manages to get into combat but the knights on the left are still stuck. The Hussites are falling rapidly now:

The Lithuanian army breaks after heavy losses in the infantry especially:

I think my plan was reasonable but I didn't execute it well. The Teutons ended up doing little as I dithered over where to commit them and managed to split them into two groups after which a couple of low command roles resulted in half of them being unable to move at a critical time. 

The Hussite war wagons (to me at least) are pretty poor in ADLG, pretty much any infantry cut them down easily and anything they do well against can just ignore them. 

The army was pretty much my favourite DBM army and is capable of being fielded as most Eastern European armies such as Polish, Hungarian, Wallachian or fully Hussite so I really should try to use them more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment