Saturday 16 March 2019

Sea Tractor!

I've always been fascinated by the tractors used by fishermen to pull their boats. Why are they so old?! Why are they always painted blue and orange?!

When I saw Sarissa Productions had brought out a suitable tractor model I persuaded myself I needed one for the 'Operation Sealion' project though I was a bit dubious as to how an MDF tractor model would work.

It arrived quickly as usual and was only a little fiddly to put together. Obviously I painted it blue and orange:

Considering it is made from MDF it looks good and just like a sea tractor should (apart from the rust of course)!

This is a real Norfolk sea tractor:

Some research (aka 'Google') informed me that the reason why they use these old tractors is that they have no electrics, modern tractors with electrical systems don't survive exposure to sea water! Apparently it is an increasing problem for fishermen sourcing replacement tractors.....

No comments:

Post a Comment