Tuesday 21 May 2019

ADLG Venetian Condotta v Communal Papal Italian

Another practice game for Gordon, this time at 225pts for a Medieval competition. I thought I'd go for Italian Condotta and the Venice option mainly as I had not used them in a long time.

I chose minimal knights, a strong foot contingent and a Swiss ally general. The terrain seemed to fall well for me with most of it on my side of the table:

I'd not realised the Papal army can have a Catalan Company ally so when Gordon deployed them to rush through all the terrain on my left I was surprised and couldn't really see what to do about them. So, Plan A, smash through the Papal centre before the Catalan's flank me was the only option really:

The Venetian centre closes in. Despite having a strategist in command the Venetian right has proved rather tardy:

On the left things go badly quickly with some Swiss halberdiers and hand gunners failing miserably to hold up the Catalan horde:

Things were not going much better in the centre as the Venetian's took hits from shooting:

The two lines clash in the centre as the 'Strategist' finally pushes his forces forward:

The combats are not good for the Venetians and they collect more hit markers and a gap in their line:

The Venetian right gets into action but also does badly. On the left the Catalans are cutting through their opponents:

Large gaps open in the Venetian lines and the army is close to collapse:

A Venetian general personally leads some pike men in a desperate attack which fails and gets him killed finishing off the Venetians:

This certainly was not one of my better efforts at ADLG. At one stage I thought I'd lose very quickly but did manage to kill a few of Gordon's units to make it look a little more respectable.

I used my Knights badly and didn't really get my elite English Longbowmen into the fight. The very expensive Swiss ended up with no real target and were always in danger of being hit in the flank by the Catalan's. Must do better...…..

No comments:

Post a Comment