Monday 30 December 2019

Black Sea's Spanish

I've now finished the first lot of Black Sea's Napoleonic Naval ships I painted and Dave kindly rigged by adding the appropriate flags to make them Spanish:

The frigates "Hermiona" and "Santa Catalina":

The "Santa Margarita":

Brigs "Esmerelda" and "Aguila":

Brigs "Juno" and "Ventura":

The Third Rate "Neptuno":

The Third Rate I rigged myself having taken on board some hints from Dave and with his examples to copy. It was a somewhat frustrating experience but the end result does not look bad for a first attempt and hopefully when I do the other two Third Rates it will be easier.

These ships really look fantastic for such a minimal outlay, the frigates and brigs were very easy to paint (the 3rd rate took a bit more effort), the rigging really brings them to life as do the flags. When I have done all the ones I have I'll have three Third Rates, three Frigates and four Brigs which will be a decent sized fleet. The difficulty will be avoiding the temptation to add more I think!

Just for comparison (and the reason why I bought the blue hex cloth a while ago) I also possess the entire fleets of both sides for Trafalgar in 1/3000th scale ships which myself and two friends of mine at my old Redcar club bought and painted many years ago and I ended up with. The French in particular are beautiful little ships as the guy who did them was a very talented painter:

There are 64 ships in that tray and even though they are tiny when set up on a 6 x 4 table they take up the whole table! It is also extremely difficult to see how any set of rules can cope with so many ships on table, even the simplest ones I could find wouldn't really cope.

The "Black Seas" rule book includes a Trafalgar scenario and suggests with huge optimism playing on an 8 x 6 table using the 1/700th ships!

No comments:

Post a Comment