Saturday 8 September 2018

1809 Austrians for Sharp Practice

Having painted up some French Napoleonic 28mm figures for the Sharp Practice competition at Britcon I thought it would be nice to have some opposition for them.

In the far distant past I had bought a unit pack of 28mm Austrian infantry for the start of a project to do a 28mm Napoleonic army which faded away without a single figure being painted. I couldn't even remember who the manufacturer was but did manage to find them in a dusty bag in the loft.

On examination there were 40 German line infantry, 4 foot officers, 2 drummers, 2 standard bearers and a mounted general which nicely equated to 5 groups of infantry for SP plus the officers etc. The figures were still in pretty good condition so they were cleaned up, undercoated and painted with red facings as IR#1 'Kaiser Franz'.


The first thing I added to the force were a couple of the wonderful Flags of War Austrian flags for the standard bearers, not really essential for SP but fantastic to add a bit of colour.

 

I then ordered some Tyrolean Jaegers, some Hussars and an artillery piece and crew from Front Rank as I thought they would mix well to make up the rest of the force.

Two units of Jaegers were then completed, armed with rifles in SP they made a change from the usual musket armed skirmishers:


.
The artillery followed next:


Finally the unit of Hussars was completed, for me the 4th 'Hessen Homburg' regiment was the only choice for the paint scheme as they are so colourful!


A close-up of the dashing officer:



The force nicely represents a detachment of an Advanced Guard Corps I think and I'm pleased both with the way they came out and that some figures I bought many years ago will finally get used!

No comments:

Post a Comment