Thursday 13 September 2018

RAF Museum Hendon

Having not been to the RAF Museum in Hendon for a long time I thought I'd take a trip on the Northern Line for the day. I started off in the Battle of Britain area:

ME109


Hawker Hurricane


Hendon has started off a 'sit in a Spit' experience for £10 so I took advantage of that. While interesting it was not as good as the Biggin Hill 'Sit in a Spit' experience I tried last year which was fantastic. Actually flying in a Spitfire must be amazing.

Spitfire instrument panel


The award for the shiniest plane in the museum must go to the Bristol Bulldog!


Next I moved on to the WW1 display area. The progress of aviation really had been remarkable, just over a hundred years ago this was cutting-edge technology!

Caudron G3


In a couple of years progress was already rapid.

Albatross and Fokker DVII


Finally having been an avid reader of Captain W.E. Johns 'Biggles' books when I was younger and having revisited the WW1 books recently it was great to see the Sopwith Camel on display.



As regards gaming we used to play 'Wings of War' in both the WW1 and WW2 versions but have not played for a long time. The WW2 version seemed a little lacking compared to the WW1 version which was great fun. The new 'Under Blood Red Skies' system from Warlord Games looks interesting but so far I have resisted the temptation to invest in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment