Saturday 23 February 2019

Muckleburgh Military Collection

I've been past the Muckleburgh Military Collection in Norfolk many times but never actually visited it. With my recent interest in Chain of Command and Rommel and being in Norfolk for a few days I thought I'd pay it a visit.

There was an interesting display about the history of the site as a military camp and especially as an AA training facility in WW2 illustrated by a great model of the site:

An amphibious jeep, like a tiny DUKW:

A Centurion tank:

The Chieftain:

M8 Greyhound armoured car:

The mighty German 88mm gun:

A Bren Carrier complete with Boys Anti Tank Rifle:

The M5 Stuart tank:

The M4 Sherman:

A T34/85 tank:

The M7 Priest:

A Comet:

So all in all an interesting small museum with most of the tanks I have recently painted up for the 10mm Americans. I don't know how accurate the paint schemes were but the green was certainly much darker and glossier than the way I painted mine. The vehicles were quite cramped in their displays and a little more space around them would have been nice.

The museum also had a vast display of model vehicles, planes and ships my favourite of which was this WW1 pigeon loft:

Apparently 95% of messages sent by carrier pigeon in WW1 got through and there were severe penalties for anyone shooting pigeons for the duration of the war.

Finally when we stopped at nearby Wells Next Sea for lunch I noticed this fishing boat named 'Blucher'. I wonder what the story behind the name is?

2 comments:

  1. Err, your friendly pedant here, the bren carrier has a boys anti tank rifle on it, not a bren. (Well at least im reading it and paying attention Geoff!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bow to your superior knowledge Sean and I did think maybe it was a Boys anti tank rifle :)

    ReplyDelete