Tuesday 19 February 2019

The Avengers!

My favourite TV series when I was a kid was 'The Avengers' starring Patrick Macnee as John Steed and Diana Rigg as Emma Peel.

Every week they would defeat implausible plots to take over Britain in various nefarious ways. Steed was normally armed only with his trusty umbrella, his bowler hat and an impeccable dress sense. Mrs Peel was unusual for the time in that she wasn't just a pretty sidekick to be rescued but actually was probably smarter than Steed and an equal partner.

A while ago while flicking through the Artizan Designs website (as you do) I saw a figure pack which, while not named as such (presumably for copyright issues) bore a great resemblance to the duo together with 'Mother'. Inevitably I then had to place an order for the pack of course.

I finally got around to painting the two main figures:

Though not a character in the series Steed's Bentley often appeared. There is a Matchbox 'Models of Yesterday' version which is about the right size for the figures one of the later versions of which I picked up from eBay for a very small sum.

I painted some of it (the soft top, seats, dashboard, leather bonnet straps and the rather glowing chrome work) and can't quite decide if I want to matt varnish it or not. It seems to fit well with the figures:

I'm not quite sure what if anything I'll use them for. Steed and the Bentley would be appropriate for the CoC Operation Sealion collection but Mrs Peel would probably look a bit out of place!

No comments:

Post a Comment